Vote for us for Best of Westchester!
Dr. Tina Brescia, MT-BC, LCAT
Director of Onsite Services
(914) 761-3900 ext. 134
When can I register?
- The Conservatory has ongoing enrollment so you can begin at any time; tuition is prorated accordingly.
How do I register?
- Contact Dr. Tina Brescia at 914-761-3900 ext. 134 or firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule a complimentary initial assessment with a music therapist. After this meeting, a lesson time will be established and you may proceed with the registration and payment process.
What happens during the initial assessment?
- Your child will participate in 20-30 minutes of active music-making with the therapist using a variety of instruments, to help determine his/her abilities, needs and musical preferences.
- Depending on the age of your child, you may choose to observe the session inside the session room, or in the observation room which has one-way viewing windows. Please advise the therapist of any special support your child may need. The therapist may ask questions about your child during or after the assessment, and you will have the opportunity to ask questions as well.
What is the difference between music therapy and adapted instruction?
- Music therapy is a process-oriented intervention that includes structured improvisations using various small percussion instruments, piano, and guitar. Goals are set that reflect the individual’s social, verbal, cognitive, physical and emotional needs as determined by the therapist with input from the parent or caregiver.
- Adapted instruction focuses on learning a particular instrument (guitar, piano, voice or percussion). The individual must be able to sit and attend to a task for at least 10 minutes, have developing fine motor control, demonstrate a sense of the basic beat, have beginning reading skills, and have a desire and motivation to learn the instrument.